Crossing the Island of Zanzibar, Tanzania
Travelling overland through Africa is always a special experience. It’s usually a slow process, with lots of adventure and things to look at. Our travels across the Island of Zanzibar were no different from this stereo type as we meandered down relaxing roads shuttling between accommodation for our island stay.
This post is one chapter on our trip to the Republic of Tanzania and the Islands of the Seychelles. This trip was redeemed through Air Canada’s Aeroplan and enhanced through World of Hyatt and Marriott Bonvoy Elite Status. For more information on how this trip was booked, please see our trip introduction here. For other parts of the trip, please see this index.
Read More from This Trip
- Trip Introduction: Zanzibar, Tanzania and Islands of the Seychelles via Air Canada and Turkish Airlines Business Class
- Air Canada Signature Business Class: Vancouver – Toronto
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge: Toronto International Terminal
- Turkish Airlines Business Class: Toronto – Istanbul
- Turkish Airlines Business Class: Istanbul – Dar Es Salaam
- The Hyatt Regency – The Kilimanjaro, Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
- Precision Air: Dar Es Salaam – Zanzibar
- The Residence Zanzibar by Cenizaro, Zanzibar, Tanzania
- Crossing the Island of Zanzibar, Tanzania
- The Park Hyatt Zanzibar, Tanzania
- The Decorative Doors of Stonetown, Zanzibar, Tanzania
- Among the Horrors at the Slave Trade Market, Stonetown, Zanzibar
- Emerson Spice Tea House Restaurant, Stonetown, Zanzibar
- Cruising into Sunset on a Dhow Cruise, Zanzibar
- Precision Air: Zanzibar – Dar Es Salaam
- Kenya Airways: Dar Es Salaam – Nairobi
- Kenya Airways: Nairobi – Mahé, Seychelles
- Le Meridien Fisherman’s Cove, Mahé, Seychelles
- The Beaches of Beau Vallon, Mahé, Seychelles
- Cat Cocos Ferry: Mahé – Praslin
- The Chateau des Feuilles, Praslin, Seychelles
- Tortoises at Anse Lazio and Vallée de Mai, Praslin Island, Seychelles
- The Beaches of Praslin Island, Seychelles
- Air Seychelles: Praslin – Mahé
- Salon Vallée de Mai Business Lounge, Mahé, Seychelles
- Turkish Airlines Business Class: Mahé – Istanbul
- Turkish Airlines Arrivals Lounge, Istanbul Atatürk
- Turkish Airlines E Tour, Istanbul, Turkey
- Turkish Airlines Business Class: Istanbul – Toronto
- Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport, Canada
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge, Toronto Domestic
- Air Canada Signature Business Class: Toronto – Vancouver
Activity: Overland Travel Crossing the Island of Zanzibar, Tanzania
We had a two resort stay during our travels in Zanzibar. Our first hotel was at The Residence Zanzibar which was located on the island’s south west corner. We would transit up towards the island’s central hub Stonetown, Zanzibar for our next stay at The Park Hyatt Zanzibar.
Tracking the Journey:
Our hotel arranged driver was there to pick us up promptly from The Residence Zanzibar at around noon. We had a one hour and 45 minute drive up to the Park Hyatt in Stonetown, Zanzibar.
Our host at The Residence Zanzibar, left us a kind letter cautioning us on island life during Ramadan; absolutely no drinking or eating while off the resort.
On The Drive: Crossing Zanzibar
The drive was again a fascinating insight into the life on Zanzibar. We passed from exceptionally rural areas, and past several masjid’s through the highway which was the vertebrae of many towns.
We got to see many small families as we passed by, growing ever more urban as we passed north.
The drive gave us that tiny glimpse into every day rural life on the island of Zanzibar. We spotted locals travelling, getting to and from the market, and just making their way around their daily lives throughout Zanzibar.
Eventually, the drive turned more industrial and urban. We drew closer and closer to city live the closer we got to Stonetown, Zanzibar.
Along with the increased commercialization, the amount of markets around the streets increased as we approached Zanzibar. This included passing by several markets and older architecture apartment block complexes with spaceship styled observation posts.
This has to be among the more unique apartment blocks I’ve had the opportunity to pass by during any travels. It included a tower that looked like it was straight out of a UFO Science Fiction Movie.
It wasn’t before long before we were up at the walls of Stonetown and a great stay with the Park Hyatt Zanzibar…
The Bottom Line:
Travelling across portions of Africa on an overland journey is something that will always been remembered. It allows you to get a glimpse into the every day life that people experience in any journey. Our travels across Zanzibar fit into these experiences.