Trip Introduction: The Khors of Oman, Cherry Blossoms in Japan and Perogies in Poland. Round the World #2 in Star Alliance Business Class via ANA, Thai, Turkish and Lufthansa
With another year, another frequent flier point de-valuation came and went. Thankfully, Aeroplan had the courtesy to announce the changes with several months in advance, unlike some other recent frequent flier program devaluations. It seemed like the logical time to burn more miles. I’ve pretty much given up on maintaining status after 8 years, since the miles are easier to obtain through other forms of accumulation.
Trip Introduction: The Khors of Oman, Cherry Blossoms in Japan and Perogies in Poland. Round the World #2 in Star Alliance Business Class via ANA, Thai, Turkish and Lufthansa.
We had our eyes set on another Africa redemption with our eyes on the Seychelles. But two days before the de-valuation booking deadline, I learned that Ethiopian had outright cancelled their Seychelles flights, leaving Star Alliance without a means of getting to the Seychelles. We had to put together a new plan quickly if we wanted to get in on the lower ticket prices prior to the increase. In 48 hours, I managed to put together an “Middle East” Around the World Redemption with the Aeroplan permitted two stops, calling in on in Tokyo, Japan, Dubai United Arab Emirates, Warsaw Poland booked at about 4 months out.
Since we had already been to the United Arab Emirates, we decided to add on a short side trip to Oman, courtesy of Etihad Guest frequent flier program miles.
For the first time, I signed up for ExpertFlyer (instead of using the “Guess and Check” method that I learned in high school math) which made for a much easier Aeroplan booking experience as I had the Maximum Permitted Mileage in hand when designing the routing.
Taxes, fees and fuel surcharges came to $1,035 CAD per ticket, in addition to 135,000 Aeroplan miles per passenger.
YVR-SEA-NRT (Aeroplan Business Award)
NRT-ICN-BKK-DXB (Aeroplan Business Award)
AUH-MCT-AUH, (Etihad Preferred Guest – Business Award)
DXB-IST-ZRH-WAW, (Aeroplan Business Award)
WAW-MUC-YVR (Aeroplan Business Award)
This post is one chapter on our second Round the World trip via Japan, the United Arab Emirates, Oman, and Poland. This trip was redeemed through Air Canada’s Aeroplan and through Starwood Preferred Guest (Marriott Bonvoy) loyalty programs. For more information on how this trip was booked, please see our trip introduction here. For other parts of the trip, please see this index.
Read More from This Trip
- Trip Introduction: The Khors of Oman, Cherry Blossoms in Japan, & Pirogies in Poland. Round the World #2 via Star Alliance Business Class on ANA, Thai, Etihad, Turkish & Lufthansa.
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge Vancouver Trans-border
- Air Canada Express: Vancouver – Seattle
- United Club Lounge Sea-Tac, Seattle, Washington, USA
- The Club at SEA Lounge, “S” Concourse, Sea-Tac, Seattle, Washington, USA
- ANA Staggered Business Class: Seattle – Tokyo Narita
- ANA Arrivals Lounge – Tokyo Narita
- The Westin Tokyo
- Meiji Jingu Shine & Shibuya Crossing, Tokyo, Japan
- The Imperial Palace and Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan
- Tsukiji Fish Market and Ginza Shopping, Tokyo, Japan
- Cherry Blossoms and a Night out in Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
- ANA Lounge, Narita Terminal One, Tokyo, Japan
- Asiana Airlines Business Class, Tokyo Narita – Seoul Incheon
- Hyatt Regency Incheon
- Asiana Business Lounge, Terminal One Concourse, Seoul Incheon
- Thai Airways Business Class: Seoul Incheon – Bangkok Survharnabhumi
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Spa, Bangkok Survharnabhumi
- Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge, Bangkok Survharnabhumi
- Thai Airways Business Class: Bangkok Survharnabhumi – Dubai
- The Grosvenor House Apartments, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Afternoon Tea at the Burj Al Arab, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- At the Top, Visiting the Worlds’ Tallest Observation Deck, Burj Khalifa, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Trading at Old Markets of Dubai, Deira, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Etihad Pearl Business Lounge, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Etihad Pearl Business, Abu Dhabi – Muscat
- Shangri-La Barr al Jissah Resort and Spa, Muscat, Oman
- Shopping at Mutrah Souq & The Corniche at Muscat, Oman
- Spotting Underwater Turtles in Bandar Jissah, Yiti, Oman
- Plaza Premium Lounge, Muscat, Oman
- Etihad Airways Pearl Business Class, Muscat – Abu Dhabi
- The Four Points by Sheraton, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Lufthansa Senator Lounge, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Dubai International Business Lounge, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Turkish Airlines Business Class, Dubai – Istanbul
- Turkish Airlines Business Lounge, Istanbul Atatürk Airport, Istanbul, Turkey
- Swiss Airlines Business Class, Istanbul – Zurich
- Swiss Airlines Senator Lounge “A”, Zurich, Switzerland
- Swiss Airlines Business Class, Zurich – Warsaw
- The Hotel Bristol, Warsaw, Poland
- Strolling Old Town Warsaw, Poland
- Visiting the Remains of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising and Parks of Warsaw, Poland
- LOT Business Lounge, Warsaw, Poland
- Lufthansa Business Class, Warsaw – Munich
- Lufthansa Business Class, Munich – Vancouver
In my experience, the African content Award redemptions are super complicated and high on customer demand so I hope you’ll enjoy this trip report as you follow along on how we built and traveled our Aeroplan Frequent Flier Program South African and Safari Adventure.