Review: British Airways Club Europe A319, London – Munich
Read More from this Trip
- Introduction: Christmas Markets in Germany via British Airways and Lufthansa First Class
- SkyTeam International Lounge, Vancouver International Airport
- Cathay Pacific Lounge, Vancouver International Airport
- British Airways Galleries Lounge, Vancouver International Airport
- British Airways First Class: Vancouver – London Heathrow Terminal 3
- British Airways Concorde Room: London Heathrow Terminal 5
- British Airways Club Europe: London Heathrow Terminal 5 – Munich
- Le Meridien Munich, Munich, Germany
- Christmas Markets in Munich, Germany
- DB Bahn Munich Hautbahnof – Hannover Hautbahnhof
- Novotel Hannover, Hannover, Germany
- Christmas Markets in Hannover, Germany – Part I
- Christmas Markets in Hannover, Germany – Part II
- Gedenkstätte Bergen-Bilsen Concentration Camp
- Christmas Markets in Celle, Germany
- Christmas Markets in Bremen, Germany
- Sheraton Hannover Pelikan, Hannover, Germany
- DB Bahn Hannover Hautbanhof – Munich Hautbahnhof
- Aloft Munich, Germany
- BMW Welt and Christmas Markets in Munich, Germany
- Lufthansa First Class Lounge Munich Terminal 2 Satellite
- Lufthansa First Class Lounge Munich Terminal 2 Main
- Lufthansa First Class: Munich – Los Angeles
- Westin Los Angeles Airport, Los Angeles, USA
- Star Alliance Business Lounge: Los Angeles International Airport
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge: Los Angeles International Airport Terminal 6
- Air Canada Business Class: Los Angeles – Vancouver
Review: British Airways Club Europe, Airbus 319, London – Munich
The boarding gate was not posted until about T-40 minutes. At about T-30 minutes, we left The Concorde Room. Using the opposite entrance, we headed down past the British Airways Galleries First Lounge into the retail duty free mayhem over towards Gate A12. Heathrow Terminal 5 was nicely decorated tonight with Christmas coming near.
BA 956 – Club Europe Business Class (U)
LHR-MUC (London Heathrow Terminal 5 – Munich)
December 8, 2018
05:20 PM – 8:15 PM
Booked: Airbus 320
Flown: Airbus 319
The boarding was a mess at the gate, mostly due to poor planning and space constraints around the gate. Gate A12 appears to be almost directly under a terrace staircase which contained access and mazes. Despite the plane only being an Airbus 319, the gate area was packed.
Club Europe Cabin:
We made our way over to the Group 1 boarding area and queued. There was another 10 minute flight delay thanks to the late arrival of the inbound aircraft.
“The British Airways Club Europe standard business class product means settling for a slightly better meal, with a small suite of priority services.”
Eventually, we got on board. The seating configuration is the standard European economy seat with a blocked middle. I didn’t bother to pay for a seat assignment for this leg and as a result, I ended up seated apart from MrsWT73. Truth be told, I didn’t bother to engage in the seat swap discussion that appears to be common in Club Europe on my last few BA flights.
We had a long taxi over to the take off runway and were eventually underway.
Food and Beverage:
Thankfully, tonight’s light dinner was DO & CO catered. The food was miles ahead of the First Class food I’d had on the inbound flight, which is saying something for a short haul Club Europe. It was a light beef salad, paired with a Tanqueray Gin along with Fever Tree light tonic tonight. Although it was a smaller snack, it was tasty and really appreciated; much better than buy on board.
We had a windy landing in Munich. Once we were off, we had a friendly immigration agent ask me a few questions and we were stamped into Europe without issues. Since I was travelling with carry on only, we bypassed the baggage hall and headed for the S8 train into the Munich Hautbahnhof pretty quickly.
Sadly, the British Airways Club Europe food experience was better on this segment than the long haul in First Class. I still can’t figure out how these European Airlines get away with the same economy seats sold as business up front? While it’s nice to have a blocked seat, it isn’t all that useful or comfortable.