Shopping at Retail Giants on Orchard Road, Singapore
There are a few well renowned shopping districts in the world. Fifth Avenue in New York, the Champs Élysées in Paris, and Oxford Street in London, United Kingdom. The Orchard Road shopping district in Singapore arguably fits into this category as one of the world’s greatest shopping districts; with thousands of stores available. The area is exceptionally easy to access, highly walkable and is always an engaging part of my travels to Singapore.
This post is one chapter on our third Round the World trip via South Korea, Vietnam, Singapore, the Maldives and India. This trip was redeemed through Air Canada’s Aeroplan and through Starwood Preferred Guest (Marriott Bonvoy) and Hyatt Gold Passport (World of Hyatt) loyalty programs. For more information on how this trip was booked, please see our trip introduction here. For other parts of the trip, please see this index.
If you enjoyed this post, please follow us here or on social media through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for more travel tips and hacks on how to “Upgrade Your Travels”.
Read More from This Trip
- Trip Introduction: Vietnam, Maldives and India. Round the World #3 in Star Alliance Business Class via Air Canada, Asiana, Singapore, Air India, Turkish Airlines Business Class
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge – Vancouver International
- Air Canada Business Class: Vancouver International – Seoul Incheon
- The Nest Hotel, A Member of Design Hotels, Seoul, Incheon
- Asiana Business Class Lounge: Seoul, Incheon
- Asiana Business Class: Seoul Incheon – Ho Chi Minh City
- The Sheraton Saigon Hotel and Towers, Ho Chi Minh City
- The Sights and Sounds of Saigon, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Restaurant Review: Nhà Hàng Ngon, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
- Trading at Ben Thanh Market and Street Life in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Travelling the Mekong River. Travelling Ho Chi Minh City to Thù Thùa, Vietnam
- Travelling the Mekong River. The Canals of Thù Thùa, Vietnam
- Ho Chi Minh City Airport Lounge – Fin Bar
- Singapore Airlines Business Class: Ho Chi Minh City – Singapore
- Westin Singapore
- Shopping at Retail Giants on Orchard Road, Singapore
- Singapore Airlines Silver Kris Lounge: Changi Airport Terminal 2
- Singapore Airlines Business Class: Singapore – Male
- Hotel Jen Maldives Malé by Shangri La, Malé, Maldives
- Street Life in Malé. A Day Walking the Republic’s Maldivian Capital
- Maldivian Moonmia Domestic Lounge, Malé Ibrahim Nasir Domestic
- Maldivan Airlines: Malé – Koodhoo
- Park Hyatt Maldives
- Circumnavigating Hadadaa Island, Maldives
- The Guided Back of House Tour, Park Hyatt Maldives
- Snorkelling the Park Hyatt Maldives House Reef
- Sunsets on Hadahaa Island, Hudavdoo Atoll, Maldives
- The Leeli Lounge – Male International Airport
- Air India: Male Thiruvananthapuram
- Air India: Thiruvananthapuram – Chennai
- Air India Maharajah Lounge: Chennai Madras International Airport
- Air India Business Class: Chennai – New Delhi
- The Leela Palace, New Delhi, India
- Jama Masjid, New Delhi
- Stepping into Chandi Chowk, New Delhi, India
- Overland Travel: New Delhi to Agra by BMW Luxury Sedan
- The Taj Mahal, Agra, India
- The Walled City of Agra, Agra, India
- Air India Maharajah Lounge, Indira Ghandi Domestic, New Delhi
- Air India: New Delhi – Jaipur
- The Rambagh Palace, Jaipur, India
- Walking the Old City of Jaipur, Hawa Mahal, Jantar Mantar, and City Palace, Jaipur
- A Day in the Footsteps of Royalty, Touring Amber Fort, Jaipur
- Air India: Jaipur – New Delhi
- ITC Muraya Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, New Delhi
- The Plaza Premium Lounge, Indira Ghandi International Airport, New Delhi
- Turkish Airlines Business Class: New Delhi – Istanbul
- Turkish Airlines Istanbul Atatürk Business Lounge
- Turkish Airlines Business Class: Istanbul – Montreal
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge – Montreal Domestic
- Air Canada Business Class: Montreal – Vancouver
Shopping at Retail Giants on Orchard Road, Singapore
“Orchard Road in Singapore is one of the world’s most renowned shopping districts and a must visit for anyone serious about shopping in Singapore. The Singapore Ice Cream Sandwiches are also an added bonus “
We enjoyed the twenty-three hour stopover in Singapore. It’s limited what you can actually achieve in this short amount of time but we certainly made the most of it.
About Orchard Road:
The area of Orchard Road, Singapore is the countries primer shopping district. The area is flagged with many retail International luxury brands. The area also contains some coffee houses and light restaurants. Although I don’t find it to be an area for evening entertainment as other areas of the island are more interesting for that.
We took the MRT from the Westin Singapore up to Orchard Road. We were picked up by family at the Hyatt (now flagged as the Grand Hyatt) and we were able to get in a family visit with at a lunch at the private Tanglin Club. Even after the dip in the pool at the Westin Singapore, the Tanglin Club pool was calling me on this hot day but unfortunately it was not to be on this short visit.
Shopping on Orchard Road:
After lunch, we got dropped off at Orchard and Scotts Road and headed to the Orchard Road shopping district. The shops of Orchard Road are laid out into separate mall structures; each known for a general speciality (luxury, student fashion, electronics etc…)
We started at the bizarrely laid out ION Orchard. MrsWT73 did some damage at Uniqlo, which at the time of this article hadn’t made it to our home of Vancouver, Canada.
To pass the time after the initial shops had been visited, I ended up going outside and taking some photos of the “Rodeo Drive” of Singapore and all of it’s modern mall sculpture.
The older Tangs Plaza across from ION Orchard contains the faux Asian Tangs tower that houses the Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel.
The Paragon Center, which is home to high end fashion such as Gucci, Coach and Miu Miu, along with a convenient outdoors store and a Marks and Spencer.
One of the best parts of Orchard Road are the vendors outside on the walkway. If you’re lucky, you can find a vendor that sells Singapore Ice Cream Sandwiches. The unique Singapore Ice Cream Sandwich is a brick of ice cream wrapped in bread. It sounds strange but they are super tasty and are usually under $2 SGD. I can usually find them outside Takashimya Department store.
Sadly, the Borders Bookstore at Wheelock place I used to love and frequent here, is no more. However, I’ve had some luck finding books in the Takashimya mall at Kinokuniya.
After a flurry of shopping, we ended up taking the MRT back to the Westin Singapore well in advance of rush hour.
Our twenty three hour Singapore layover summarized:
Singapore has suffered a decline of tourist visits in favour of other regions of South East Asia compared to years past. I still find it worthy of a visit, despite the man made attractions. Shopping remains a great past time here and I certainly found it fun to spend a few hours between flights exploring old haunts.