City Visit: Getting to know Wonderful Lima, Peru
A visit to Lima Peru is one of the more interesting and authentic capitals in South America. It features great neighbourhoods, interesting architecture and great sights and attractions.
This post is one chapter in our trip to Peru and Chile via Air Canada Executive First (Business Class). This trip was booked using Air Canada e-upgrades to upgrade into Air Canada International Executive First class. For more information on how this trip was booked, please see our trip introduction here. For other parts of the trip, please see this index.
Read more from this trip:
- Introduction: Lima & Machu Picchu, Peru &, Middle Chile via Air Canada Executive First
- Air Canada Executive Class: Vancouver – Toronto
- Air Canada Executive First: Toronto – Lima
- City Visit: Lima, Peru
- LAN Peru: Lima – Cuzco
- Region Visit: Cuzco & The Sacred Valley, Peru
- Attraction Visit: Machu Picchu, Peru
- LAN Peru: Cuzco – Lima
- LAN Chile: Lima – Santiago
- Hotel Orly, Santiago, Chile
- City Visit: Santiago, Chile
- Region Visit: Maipo Valley, Chile
- Region Visit: Skiing in August at Valle Nevado, Chile
- Santiago Marriott, Santiago, Chile
- City / Region Visit: Valparaiso & Vina Del Mar, Chile
- LAN Chile: Santiago – Lima
- Air Canada Executive First: Lima – Toronto
- Air Canada Executive Class: Toronto – Vancouver
City Visit: Getting to Know Wonderful Lima, Peru
Visiting the Plaza de Armas:
We had booked a Monograms Tour “Discovery of Peru” which was a 7 day adventure through Lima, up to Cuzco, a tour of the Sacred Valley and then 2 days at Machu Picchu. The tour involved local hosts so the travel was independent, with persons meeting us at each end to send us on our tours.
Lima was a city of contrasts. The area around the airport was quite desolate and impoverished. However the inner city around the Plaza de Armas was beautifully restored and maintained. I found it more enjoyable and better maintained than some of the other Latin American cities.
The cathedral just off the Plaza de Armas contained a catacomb that was supposed to have the skeletons and remains of 70,000 persons! It was spooky. I snuck this photo when I wasn’t supposed to. It was almost completely dark.
Visiting Miraflores, Lima, Peru:
After our day tour, we walked from our hotel into the Miraflores area of Peru for dinner. Miraflores was quite the hub of activity and contained a lot of stores, events and restaurants. We even encountered an impromptu dancing celebration on the way to dinner. Dinner tonight were delicious Pisco Sours and grilled chicken
Our city visit of Lima, Peru was made more pleasant thanks to the city tour and being conveniently based in Miraflores, Lima. I would happily re-visit Lima and stay in Miraflores the next time we’d find ourselves here. It’s convenient hub of restaurants between tourist and business hotels makes this neighbourhood the best place to be.